Thursday 31 January 2013

Cashew nut roll and New Beginnings

“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.”  - Edith Sitwell


 Winter has finally settled here in India with markets full of freshest produce of the  season. I’ve been whipping something or the other since the beginning of the year that now I have almost lost track of the recipes. My technology skills also got a thorough workout recently, after many hours of  reading up on the blog world, I’m proud to say I finally have a collective space to store my thoughts and images, and a reason to start with marathon cooking in the kitchen and behind the lens.

I was unsure about my first entry. I thought of sharing traditional Indian cuisine or probably a cake. But then I settled down to this cashew nut roll. This recipes was shared with me by aunt last year. I have been eying to make this since long but could never get around to actually making it. I feel little scarred of traditional Indian sweets. I tend to so wrong with the process of making the sugar syrup. But then I did wanted to make something sweet for the New Beginning and also something i havent tried before so that i could share my first time experience here. So I settled on something a little more approachable.



Ingredients

1 cup milk
1 cup semolina
1/2 cup powdered cashew nut
1 n 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 ghee
 2 tbsp crushed pistachio 


Process
 - Melt ghee in a think bottomed pan on a slow gas. Add sugar, milk and stir for a few minutes 
 - Add semolina and cashew nut powder. Mix it well till soft paste is formed            ( about 3 minutes)
 - Remove it from the gas and keep on stirring till it cools down. The paste will  automatically star to in the process of cooling down
 - Apply some ghee to your palms and roll the thick paste into desired shape

Do try it out. And keep me posted on your adventures.

Ciao
 

1 comment: